Friday 20 January 2012

Homai Vyarawalla: Peek through her lens



For all those (like me) I din know about her till I found this article. I felt really ashamed and small that I did not know such a personality. Most of all, she was alive (until 15 Jan' 2012) and clicking.

I don’t think I am worthy of writing about such a personality. She is India's first woman press photographer. Her passion matured to an official photographer during World War II. While we are being filled by news channels with all the kurtas and boy-cuts and debate organizers, Homai Vyarawalla's lens did all the talking. Articles say she cycled around Delhi carrying heavy photograph machines (today also known as camera :P) wearing Sari. I am not trying to emphasis on 'Sari' though I read so many who are obsessed with 'changing what we wear'. I feel these are trivial things and what really matters is the message you would pass and Homai certainly passed her message and now no more.





My heart automatically goes on to blame the education system that decides on syllabus and contents of our academic books. Why isn’t such great people part of our books? Is it that hard to get a lesson on her? In my state, books have been issued with the then chief minister in one of the lessons. Well, I am not going to ponder on whether he should be in there (prose) or not, but she should definitely be there.

I might be yet another moron trying to blame others for my ignorance, but pride like these should have been carried across the borders. We (our country) lack the power to put out prides forward. We are only defending ourselves all the time. Example, the infamous Suresh Kalmadi's opening speech. There had been criticisms all over the world with news of the shortages in the CWG 2010, and on the opening ceremony it was very evident that this was a 'never before' experience. But the speech did not send a message. When you do that, you are just allowing more criticisms to flow in. Don't just pass a message; tattoo them on the criticizers mind.

No comments: